Body mass index ( BMI ) is simply defined as body mass is divided by Square of body height, unit kg/m2, BMI is a device for indicating weight status. It is a number that shows total body weight balanced for person height. BMI connects with Fats in Body.
The relation b/w BMI and body fat differs with gender and age.
- For example, You Know women have a higher percentage of fat in body than men for the similar BMI.
- On average, the study revealed that older people have more fats in body than younger adults with the similar BMI.
- BMI is a device for specify weight status.
- It is a number that shows body weight balanced for person height.
- BMI can be calculated with simple math or by charting height and weight.
- BMI is a tool used to distinguish individuals who are weightless or overweight.
- It is important to know that Body Mass Index is not a diagnostic device.
How Does BMI Relate to Health?
The BMI ranges are establish on the effect body weight has on death and disease. As Body Mass Index increases, the threat for disease increases.Some conditions related to obesity include:
- Cardiovascular disease
- High blood pressure
- Premature death
- Some cancers
Body mass Index ( BMI ) Chart
BMI can also be calculated by this chart given below.This chart is not for children, babies, teens, pregnant & breast feeding women, adults over 60 years old, endurance athletes such as runners and very muscular people.
Body mass Index ( BMI ) Calculator
Body mass Index ( BMI ) formula
- Body Mass Index can be calculated with math or by charting body height and weight.
- Find your height (in inches).
- Find your weight (in pounds).
- Your BMI is the point on the graph where your height and weight meet.
For example, a person whose weights is 220 pounds and 6 feet 3 inches tall has a BMI of 27.5. Categories of BMI for Adults Age or Over
|Body mass Index ( BMI )||Weight Status|
|18.5 – 24.9||Normal|
|25.0 – 29.9||Overweight|
|30.0 and Above||Obese|
Above a Healthy Weight
- you should know If BMI lies above the normal , then you may have chances for health problems such as high BP, heart disease, diabetes, and certain cancers.
Below a Healthy Weight
- you should know if BMI lies below the normal , then you may have chances for health problems such as irregular heart beats, depression, osteoporosis and anemia
- Some people may have a low BMI, but they are eating well and have lots of energy. The best ever advice for people below a normal healthy weight is to be aware of their health risks factors and maintain a stable body weight by eating well and keeping him/her active.These men have the same weight, height and BMI, but may have different percentage of body fat.
220 lbs Weight 220 lbs 6’3″ Height 6’3″ 27.5 BMI 27.5
- BMI is used to predict risk for disease.
- It is important to remember that body weight is one factor related to disease.
- BMI is the not the only specific for health risk , Other Factors That Are involved When Calculating Health Risk Include:
- Physical Activity
- Blood Pressure
- Waist Circumference
- Cholesterol Level
- Blood Sugar Level
- positive Family History of disease