What is depression?
When we as a whole feel sad, moody or low from time to time, some of the people experience these emotions seriously, for long periods of time (weeks, months and even years) and sometimes without any no evident reason.
Depression is more than just a low state of mind. It is a genuine condition that can affect our physical and mental health.
Symptoms Of Depression :
The number of causes is almost limitless which include :
- Feeling sad or empty.
- Loss of interest in one’s favorite activities.
- Over-Eating, or not wanting to eat at all.
- Not being able to sleep, or sleeping too much than normal.
- Feeling very tired.
- Feeling hopeless, irritable, anxious, or guilty.
- Aches,pains,headaches, cramps, or digestive problems can rise.
- Thoughts of death or Suicide.
Types Of Depression :
- Psychotic Depression
- Antenatal & Postnatal Depression
- Bipolar Disorder ( Manic Depression )
- Cyclothymic Disorder
- Dysthymic Disorder
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) It is clearly observed that depression is treatable and effective treatments are available. The earlier you seek for support the earlier you get better.
Treatment Of Depression :
There are various ways with which we can treat depression ;
1- Medication :
Doctors usually start the medicine related treatment with selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs) because they have the fewest side effects.
AntiDepressant drugs are most important for the purpose.
In Psychotherapy it involves sitting down with a mental health professional which is known to be a Psychotherapist who can help you better understand your thoughts, feelings, and emotions. Together, you both will try to figure out what helps you feel better.
Psychotherapist can help you figure out why you feel the way you do and how to manage difficult emotions better. It may help you to overcome certain fears, or change behaviors that aren’t helping you manage your feelings.
Daily Routine of Exercise also plays a very vital role in the treatment as it alerts the body and mind and keeps fine and healthy.
Hence one must exercise regularly,keep in touch with the psychotherapist and take anti-depressants when prescribed by the Doctor.
Regards : The Physio Club